Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Fucking Rain... Your Rainy Day Essentials





I recently found myself in a less than ideal spot while on vacation.  I was walking through SoHo, caught in the pouring rain, and I was less than prepared.  This was my own fault, I knew the forecast, and ignored it since it had been so long since I had been caught in rain like this without being able to change almost immediately I had forgotten how miserable it can be.  There are few daily possibilities that are worse than being stuck on a crowded street, trapped by slow walking individuals, in sheets of rain with no umbrella.  So I started thinking (while cursing myself under my breath) and reminded myself of these rainy day essentials… all the things I'd wished I would have brought with me.






The Umbrella.
Every man needs a good umbrella, whether you choose a compact mini-style or a large Batman villain variety, it needs to be sturdy and it needs to work.  Of course it doesn't hurt if it looks like a well put together accessory too, right?





The Jacket.

A good raincoat can save you—it can keep you warm, dry and happy until you finally get inside.  Luckily I had mine on the other afternoon (however it was rendered useless with no accompanying umbrella).   I walked passed one fella who clearly had taken the forecast even less seriously than I did that morning; no umbrella, no jacket, no chance of flagging a cab.  He and his now see-through shirt looked not only miserable but even more ridiculous than me.  Do not be that guy.  You may still be wet if you only remember the jacket, but at least every person walking in your direction isn’t laughing at your nipples.










Shoe Covers.

Do they look cool?  No.  Do they look absolutely ridiculous?  Yes.  What looks even more ridiculous?  Wet shoes hours after it has stopped raining.  Make the sacrifice of looking stupid for the short time it takes you to run from one place to another until you’re inside the building for good rather than making everyone have to hear you squish down the hall for the rest of the day.  After all, you paid good money for those kicks, keep them nice. 








Quick Tip.

If you aren’t the type of man to check the weather before you leave your place in the mornings, do your best to keep a dry pair of socks, shoes and shirts in your desk at work.  This will help for those surprise rainstorms as well, but you’re still best off just keeping an umbrella handy for the rest of the season.




@MWMensFashion

No comments:

Post a Comment